Monday, March 24, 2008

Week in Review and Today's Prospect Park Race

I love racing at home in New York. Or at least I think I am going to love it until I have to get up at 5:15 for a 6:30 start. And folks that's 6:30 a.m. This morning I did my first race in NYC this year and it was nice to see some friends out there. Notably absent was Dr. John Lohner who was stuck at the hospital doing what was probably a double shift. I was disapointed since I just really wanted to ride hard and with John that's always guaranteed. The race was a little slow and since I was getting sick I probably should have stayed at home anyways, but it was my first chance to race in NYC this year and I just couldn't help myself. I made a few attempts to get away being careful not to attack too hard so as to at least have a group ride off. Nothing was really sticking until 5 to go on the hill I managed to get up the road with three riders including the series leader and we caught the remains of the break including one guy who had a 2 minute lead and had been out there since lap one. It was a windy day and I was super impressed by how strong he was. I think his name was O'Donnell and he might even be a Cat 3. Although I wanted to win the race my main goal was to just ride hard when in the break and I tried to take long hard pulls. I made one attack from the break with half a lap to go but couldn't shake them so in the sprint I was easily beated by Rashad the series leader. It wasn't really a contest. We were almost doing a track stand accross the road and when he took off I could just hold the wheel. Oh well second it is. I'll post some pics as soon as I can.

This week I had been meaning to do a little week recap to kind of show people what a typical week is like. Monday I was still in LA and had a full day of sales calls before getting on the Red Eye to New York. From the moment I landed in New York on Tuesday morning until today it has been a real blur. On Tuesday however thanks to daylights savings time my boss Chris and one of our reps Jason and I managed to get accross the George Washington Bridge for a ride (here is Chris and Jason riding accross the bridge and Chris and I)
The rest of the week was really just a blur. Usually when I get up I spend some time with Liam before leaving for the office. He likes it when I ride bikes with him in the hallway but I can't get him off the Red Flyer and onto the Jamis that Carine Joannou gave him a few months ago At the office it was meeting after meeting and although I was hoping to take Good Friday off it didn't happen. I ended up rolling out of the office for a ride accross the bridge at 4 in the afternoon only to get back at 7:30 to make sure that my inbox was clean. Still had 60 messages in it and I hate having messages in my inbox. Can you say obsessive compulsive? Although after that night I did roll over to La Maseria for a proper dinner. Pino was in fine shape making me 3 fish dishes that were to die for. As I write this its Sunday night and I am back on the road in Salt Lake City. Tomorrow I'll test with Max before going to Denver for work. And for those of you who lust after business travel here is what my next 14 days looks like. Salt Lake City, Denver, New York, Washington DC, San Diego, San Francisco, New York, Germany, Belgium, Italy and finally back home. And if that wasn't bad enough for the first time I get to enjoy back to back red eyes. One from San Francisco and then another that evening to Germany. There is one good thing. Delta is still upgrading me to First class so that's nice.